Plastic spoon pendant light

- Lamps

This post contains affiliate links to products required for this project.

I finally made it! I have been wanting to make a lamp for our hallway. I found a beautiful one made with plastic spoons at guiademanualidades. The tutorial is in Spanish but the photos are great and it’s an easy project which requires patience! I gathered my materials and started going. I used a 10L plastic bottle, hot glue, about 270 spoons and….feathers!
plastic spoon lamp
There was only one small problem. My bottle, unlike the one at guiademanualidades, did not have parallel lines on it but a spiral, so some of the spoons are a little more pointy then the others but they are lost  in the chaos of the lamp. I thought at first to cover the bottle with white paper but changed my mind because i believed that it would minimize the light.
plastic spoon lamp
So i started by cutting the bottom of the bottle and then i begun gluing the spoons. I broke the handle of them and kept just the curvy part. Since there where no parallel lines on the bottle the first line was not that straightened so i unglued the spoons and glued them more carefully the second time. I placed my lamp on a miniature of the Eiffel Tower that we have at home so that it was about at my height .
plastic spoon lamp
I glued 18 rows with 15 spoons at each one. When i finally made it to the top the curve of the bottle was kind of  inconvenient for me to glue the rest of the spoons. I glued and unglued them 2 or 3 times in different ways, but i was not happy with the result. I had two options : to cut the top part of the bottle or to find something else to use there. And then it came to me : feathers!
feathers lamp

I was ready to finish my project! I glued the feathers on the lamp and i was finally and officially over with it!

plastic spoon bottle lamp
Kind of funny. Isn’t it? I love it! It was time the man of the house took some action and hang it!
plastic spoon feather lamp
plastic spoon lamp

I love my fluffy lamp! Since the time my love hang it i’m turning it on and off like a baby!

Image Map

Next Story

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

Donna
    January 3, 2016 at 20:32

This is such a great, beautiful piece of work!! And I came over here because of your lamp that you put near your wall art which I thought was also very impressive. You are extremely talented. This light looks like one of those oh so expensive artichoke chandeliers. I appreciate you sharing these delights. Thank you!

Zozo
      January 3, 2016 at 23:08

Thank you so much for your kind and enthusiastic words Donna. I appreciate it.

Karima
    September 10, 2012 at 16:06

What a brilliant job and such a great idea!

zografia
      September 10, 2012 at 16:08

Thanks Karima!!!!!!!!

Becs
    September 6, 2012 at 09:48

Love this! What kind of bulbs should I use so I dont have to worry about anything melting please?
    Thanks
    x

zografia
      September 6, 2012 at 10:43

Hello Becs!!!!!!! I used , and suggest to you, an economy lamp. That type of lamp does not emit heat, just light! You should choose the watts of the lamp depending on the shower you use and on how big or small the room you will place your lamp is. It’s written on the shower how many watts maximum you can use. If i can help you with something else, please let me know!

Anonymous
    August 1, 2012 at 03:30

I have been looking at doing this project for a while, but I didn’t have any instructions. What size light did you use and how did you put the light inside the bottle?

zozo
      August 1, 2012 at 07:37

i used an economy lamp, matching the shower i used. I cut the bottom of the bottle and passed the shower cord through that over to the bottle top (where i put the feathers). If you need any more help e-mail me! I would be more than glad to help!

Anonymous
    May 5, 2012 at 00:08

This is such a good Make it yourself product. Please consider posting it to our new MIY ReUse website: http://www.co-oproduct.org

Thanks

Tracy

zozo
      May 5, 2012 at 00:33

thanks Tracy. will do so!

Kim
    April 24, 2012 at 12:55

This is incredible! I am a lighting junkie and I am soooooo copying you! Really great work. I found you from Homework link and had to come see this.
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

zozo
      April 24, 2012 at 13:17

i’m so glad you like it. i’ll be waiting for your version!

Bev
    April 14, 2012 at 01:27

Feathers were such a creative way to finish it off – cute too! I would be just like you and would be turning it on and off admiring my handiwork 🙂

zozo
      April 14, 2012 at 08:01

feathers is my favorite part on the lamp! thank you for visit!

zozo
    April 9, 2012 at 18:05

thank you for your nice comment and thank you for your idea!

GuiadeManualidades
    April 9, 2012 at 17:58

It´s beautifull!!!!! Congratulations!!! It´s good to see that somebody is doing the ideas that we are sharing!

zozo
    April 8, 2012 at 23:12

i’ll be waiting for your version!

Sirena
    April 8, 2012 at 23:03

it is amazing!!
    a great idea for my place too..i might try it..
    i’ll let u know..

zozo
    April 8, 2012 at 09:20

Thanks Bernice. I am glad you like it. I’ll think it over and i’ll tell you about something sparkly to do!

bernice
    April 8, 2012 at 08:39

Very clever…I can see you turning it on and off! I would too.

I have been wondering how to make a mini chandelier for my bedroom ceiling light, I really like glass, sparkly stuff, any ideas?

Keep on doing neato stuff!Me and my friends love to see creativity!

mdog93
      April 15, 2012 at 19:49

Cut glass bottles and hang the top (fluted) part in bunches maybe at different heights. Or upside down wine glasses. You can add sparkle by adding glitter around the rims of the glasses/bottles with epoxy and glitter.

Like this but with multiples- maybe at different heights:

an amalgamation between the previous link and this:
      but with the bulbs inside the bottles

a bit like this:

Just my ideas for a glass chandelier

Anonymous
      September 1, 2012 at 20:27

You could try using clear plastic spoons on multiple, smaller bottles?

zografia
      September 1, 2012 at 20:36

i used a 10 liter bottle on this one. you could try it with smaller bottles, but if you use clear plastic spoons the glue for attaching them on the bottle might look ugly . i used hot glue. you will have to be very careful with gluing them if you use clear spoons. if i can help in any other way, please let me know!