Our New 50 Year Old Dining Table & Life Updates

- Home Decor, Stories
A beautiful 50 year old oval dining table

Oh, wow! It’s been more than a month since my last post. I must admit this was a very relaxing period!  And after a another visit to my endocrinologist i am now an a new pill, which after almost a month, seems to be working. This doctor believes that one of the excipients of my first medication was the problem. Probably an allergic reaction to one of them. I am a sensitive person with angry cells, like my allergist says it! But the big question is : which excipient was it? and how am i going to find out?

My new medication has the same levothyroxine dose like the first one, but the excipients are only water and glycerine. The only serious problem is that my TSH almost doubled in the last 4 months, from 1.15 to 2.23 . Doctor said that since we want to have another baby, my TSH must be below 2.5 . We’ll see what happens!

And now to our new dining table. My grandma had this for almost 50 years and now that she moved to a new house she no longer needs this. Ever since i was a child i liked this table so much! I called dibs and now it’s in our home! It’s a round, 112cm diameter, table but we added the 40cm wide extension to make it oval and a bit larger. Look at these legs!

A beautiful 50 year old oval dining table

And the wavy detail. It’s in a pretty good shape. The gorgeous legs need a touch up. And there are some paint drops on the side, visible only from a close distance. I am only worried about the veneer. It’s got a couple of scratches and some minor cracks in some spots. It’s not peeling, yet. I am only staining the legs and sanding the paint drops. I think i’ll leave the veneer as it is for now.  And we’ll see how this goes. What do you think?

A 50 year old dining table found its place in our home

A few cracks and scratches are a problem, a minor one at the moment

Our home looks bigger and our old table top rests behind our bed. We have a pretty big headboard now! And i must find a centerpiece suitable for our dining table.

Take care and sign up so you never miss a post

Zografia

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

creativejewishmom/sara
    June 27, 2016 at 13:11

Great to see you on Craft Schooling Sunday, and how lovely to inherit a wonderful table with such a history! Wishing you good health!

Zozo
      June 29, 2016 at 00:09

Thanks for hosting Sara! It’s always a pleasure to visit Craft Schooling Sunday.

Debrashoppeno5
    June 21, 2016 at 01:33

The table is so beautiful with the detail on the legs. Plus it is extra special given it belonged to your grandmother.

Zozo
      June 21, 2016 at 09:44

Thank you. It is a precious piece of furniture.

Katerina Konstantinou
    June 20, 2016 at 16:50

I think the table should visit a professional just to be sure! I am happy you are doing better! Don’t forget to write something about your new “old” headboard too!

Zozo
      June 21, 2016 at 09:44

Hi Katerina! Yes, it’s time for a bedroom renewal!

Mary-the boondocks blog
    June 19, 2016 at 11:43

What a beautiful table Zografia. You are very lucky to have inherited it from your grandmother and it looks fabulous paired with those chairs. I have one like it but I opted to paint mine because it was in awful shape and the top was laminate. yuk! I would recommend just a good cleaning, sanding and then varnish. You don’t need to take it to a specialist, I’m sure it’s an easy fix. And it will look even more gorgeous! I’m also very happy to hear that you are feeling better we have missed you. 😉

Zozo
      June 19, 2016 at 23:45

Thank you so much Mary. I am looking forward to the transformation of your table!

Mary-the boondocks blog
        June 20, 2016 at 00:10

I painted mine a Greek Blue color! It was an easy choice.

Zozo
          June 21, 2016 at 09:45

🙂 Yes, i know what you mean!

Bernice...Nikki
    June 18, 2016 at 05:01

Yes…I love the legs! Haha don’t worry about scratches etcthis just shows history. Many years of family meals,meetings,all sorts of family history. Who made this mark,who did this scratch…nice!

Zozo
      June 19, 2016 at 23:52

Hi Niki! I just got and a few glasses that are roughly the same age as the table! I do not want to use them, a scratch or mark on them would not look nice!

Eleana A.
    June 18, 2016 at 01:21

Μου αρέσει πάααααρα πολύ!!!! Και εγώ ονειρευόμουν πως κάποτε θα καταφέρω να πάρω το τραπέζι της γιαγιάς μου αλλά δεν μου έκατσε. Με τη πρώτη ευκαιρία πιστεύω πως θα πρέπει να τριφτεί όλο το τραπέζι και να περαστεί ξανά ένα βερνίκι γιατί είναι κρίμα να σου ξεφλουδίσει και να πάει και ο κόπος σου χαμένος. Πάντως εισαι πολύ τυχερή, είναι στολίδι απο μόνο του!! Καλό Σαββατοκύριακο!! 🙂

Zozo
      June 18, 2016 at 01:32

Ναι, θα πρέπει να πάει σε μάστορα για να διορθωθεί, δεν θα το γλυτώσω! Όταν έρθεις προς τα μέρη μας, έλα να σου κάνουμε το τραπέζι! Καλά να περάσετε!